Thursday 16 February 2017

Ghost Signs - Radio Times

* This was originally posted on my Pieces of UK blog on 2nd March 2014.
 
There's a fascinating article today on the BBC news website about "Ghost Signs". These signs were hand-painted and could be found all over the country on the sides of buildings. The BBC article shows a number of these signs in Leeds, Yorkshire.

There's a really nice example of one more local to myself in Grays, Essex which you can see on Google Street View. You can get a clear view of it from Meesons Lane (see Google Street View below)


Radio Times "Ghost Sign" in Grays, Essex

I did a Google Image search for "Radio Times covers" to see if I could find a copy of the Radio Times with a similar font. I think I found a pretty good match (below) from 1961 on a blog called Andy's Retrospace.
Radio Times from 1961



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment